Monday, April 4, 2016

A Home.. Away from Home

I remember when my parents used to threaten about putting me into a boarding school for my mischief. I would get nightmares, specially about having to miss the delicious dal, called phodniche varan in Marathi, cooked by my mother. And then there was a day when those nightmares became reality and I had to leave home. I had a lump in my throat thinking about the memories accumulated in over a score of years at home. It has been many years and multiple relocations now, but I still crave for the dal which makes me miss home.

By virtue of my association with theatre, I am a part of a group most of the folks in which are bachelors like me who stay with friends. Once after a late night session of rehearsals for one of our plays, I was served the dal in dinner, same aroma, as if cooked by my mother. It was prepared by the assistant director's wife. I ate more and more of the dal even after I was full just to relish the homely taste of it. I realized that some of us were having dinner at the director's place almost everyday. The wives of our director and assistant director, bhabhi as we fondly call them, were thanklessly preparing food for the group during all our rehearsals. While the play was well received by the audience and efforts from the director and actors were appreciated, what missed a mention was the dedication with which the bhabhis supported our group like a backbone. On personal front, I realized that since the time I joined this group, my craving for going home has gone down. While my mother would not like this, she would be happy with the fact that I am not missing out on the homely love despite staying away.

I wonder if it is the same with other groups around the town. If not, then I am just lucky to be a part of this family. However, I wish every person finds oneself among such people who will be the support system which acts as a confidence booster in the stay away from family. And to take it further, I wish every person makes an effort to be a family for all others around. The 'home' which we left back will always be the nucleus of our lives, but what soothes the pain of staying away form home and makes life hopeful is the boon of having such a home, away from home.

9 comments:

  1. Being born in a family of three girls I have always felt a space for a brother. You guys have covered that space for me! Also kaaka for Zayaan :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heared the Nagpuri name "Fodnicha Varan " :(..Missing Nagpur and of course "Fodnicha Varan " by Aai ;)...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You forgot to mention our favorite "Puran Poli".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There will be another blog specially on pyran poli

      Delete
  4. Good one Anurag! Can totally relate to the feeling

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow...gud write up...though never stayed away frm ma.. But now I also miss fodnicha Varan... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow...gud write up...though never stayed away frm ma.. But now I also miss fodnicha Varan... :-)

    ReplyDelete